My name is Drew Persson, I am a 17 year old high school student in grade 11 who attends Ecole Notre Dame High School in Red Deer. I began wrestling October 2015, after watching my brothers wrestle at Crank Gym. Shortly after joining the club I found myself gaining success in the sport. What was first a fitness activity quickly turned into my passion. With my coach Adam Laporte at Crank Gym I have been training in freestyle wrestling and traditional Catch as Catch Can wrestling. My passion for the sport of wrestling first started to show after my victory at the High School Rural Provincials, where I brought home gold at 75kg and the 4A Rural Provincial Team Title in 2016. This passion was strengthened after another gold at the Cadet AAWA Provincial Championship 2016. Following my success in freestyle wrestling I took up the beginning of my summer July 2016 to travel to Humboldt, Iowa to compete at the Frank Gotch World Catch Wrestling Tournament. From this opportunity I brought home bronze in the women’s open weight division also claiming the title as the youngest competitor. I had a great experience wrestling and it was a huge opportunity for me to meet world known wrestlers, as well as some amazing coaches. After my first season of Wrestling I have made the commitment this is the path I am on for my future.
My goals are to
● Win High School Provincials
● Compete at the 2017 Canadian Juvenile Championship
● Make Team Alberta for the 2017 Canada Summer Games 2 years
● Earn spot on the Dino’s Varsity Wrestling Team
● Compete internationally in freestyle wrestling 4 years
● Compete at the 2020 Tokyo Olympics
● To complete 2 years of the Bachelor of Kinesiology program at the University of Calgary and become a Coach at the University level or run a Club.